Sunday, September 13, 2015

HEALING

It has been another rough week for Oscar with intense itching and burning 24/7. He hasn't been able to regulate his body temperature so one minute he is freezing cold wrapped up in towels and blankets then he's burning hot and sweating! He's still shedding lots of skin but I see this as a great sign of healing.Not many school days again and sadly Oscar didn't get to run the school cross country.
Oscar's blood tests came back fine so he is now on 7.5mgs of methotrexate. Side effects minimal this week. Today he woke up happy and played outside straight after breakfast, although he did get tired quickly. He had moments of quiet time inside then outside play then back to the couch for quiet time and itching. Sunday seems to be the day he gets knocked around a bit from the drugs. Although It has been lovely seeing him want to play outside today!
On a positive and exciting note we started seeing changes in Oscar's skin on Friday. His face looks white and his body has patches of white shining through. Every so often I look at Oscar and I think he looks so pale, like a wee ghost. We are just not used to seeing him white. Oscar's little brother Charlie said yesterday "Oscar you have skin now!" Oscar even said " I don't look like an eczema boy. I just look like a boy with scratches." We are so excited to see what the next few weeks bring and very relieved that the withdrawl of steroids hasn't been the nightmare I had prepared myself for. Three weeks steroid free, this is huge for us!! I am so proud of Oscar getting through the last month. He has been very sore and uncomfortable, I can't begin to imagine the itching and pain he's felt but I whole heartedly believe he is now over the worst. This means after five years of being on this journey we are finally on a path that will lead us to a healthy, happy steroid and drug free boy!



No comments:

Post a Comment