Thursday, September 17, 2015

WISH CHIP

Last night we had nachos for dinner..well mince with a few nacho chips. Oscar was very excited as this is a food he hasn't had in a long time and even more excited he had a wish chip on his plate. For anyone that doesn't know, a wish chip folds over on itself like a semi circle shape rather than flat and circular! If you are lucky enough to come across one then you get to make a wish! I heard Oscar whispering to  himself "I wish I didn't have eczema". He then told us his wish and Charlie also said "I wish you didn't have eczema too Oscar". What a sweetie.
Before bed Oscar was itching like mad and asked me why his wish hadn't come true. Hearing this broke my heart but I had to think fast and told him that not all wishes can be granted straight away so he would need to continue to stay strong until his wish comes true.
Oscar found a wish chip in a bag of potato chips one weekend last year and wished we could go on holiday to Wanaka. The same day Andrew got a phone call for a job interview in Wanaka - Oscar's wish came true! Pure coincidence but Oscar remembers this so I guess in his wee mind wish chips really do grant wishes!
Oscar's body flared up a couple of days ago so he is still recovering from this, however his face is looking quite clear and the swelling around his eyes has gone down even more than last week. We are week four on methotrexate. The best way to describe how I'm feeling is you know when you have something excting to look forward to and time then seems to slow down considerably? It takes 6-8 weeks  for the drug to work effectively and although we are starting to see some clear skin we still have a long way to go. Oscar certainly isn't any less itchier. In fact as I write this at 11p.m he has managed an hours sleep and this round is an hour into itching. This will be our night on and off until around 4.30-5 when he finally falls into a deep sleep for a few hours.
On a happy note Oscar has managed four school days in a row. He went in late today but the last three days we have made it to school before the bell..this probably hasn't happened since February!
Right my eyes are getting blury. Time to get my wee man to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment