Thursday, May 25, 2017

PROUD OF MYSELF!

A couple of non-eventful weeks for us. The boys have all had colds. This is the first one for Oscar off of the immune suppressants and it was just a standard cold/cough and a couple of days of not feeling well. Harry is better now although still coughing and was unwell for over a week.
A big thing we've noticed over the last couple of weeks is that Oscar is now waking up naturally between seven and eight in the morning even if he's had a rough night.  On the immunesuppressants we had to physically shake Oscar in the mornings to wake him up. Some mornings he slept in until nearly midday. I think the Methotrexate knocked him about way more than Harry. Stomach issues are a side effect also which could have been the reason for all of Oscar's stomach problems. His stomach is great now and not many complaints of sore tummys like we had. Harry  had four nights in a row of sleeping all night in his bed last week. He did wake a couple of times but settled again without a scratch attack. This week with being unwell his skin has flared and he's back to sleeping with one of us after his first round of sleep. Harry's stomach looks amazing! He's still pulling his top up and proudly showing us.  His arms are the worst affected at the moment but managable.

Yesterday Harry made a cake with his friends and Kindy teacher. When I picked him up he was so excited to show me his piece of cake. The first thing he said to his big brothers and Dad was "I made cake at Kindy". The teachers have cut it up and popped it in the freezer for times when there is food being handed out mainly at Birthday celebrations.

Last year I had a run in with a mother from Kindy who was questioning me about Harry's health. She made it pretty clear she didn't agree with the decisons we were making for our children. Unfortunately at that time we were fighting for survival and I was not strong enough to stick up for myself. I ended up crying on one of the teachers shoulders for quite some time after the mother left! As time has gone on it turns out Harry and this mother's daughter have become good wee buddies at Kindy!
Who would have thought.
Harry got a birthday invite yesterday to the wee girls party. I knew this was my opportunity to say a few things and get rid of some of the anger I have felt towards this mother. My opportunity arose this morning when the mother asked if I would be brining Harry to the party as she did kindly offer to make something he could eat. I said Harry would be coming to the party although I do find this whole situation awkward considering our conversation last year. I went on to say that she judged us very harshly without knowing about our situation or having an understanding about what we have gone through. She said she was frustrated and that she doesn't believe in alternative medicine and obviously we have different opinions on that so why don't we just let our kids be friends and get on with it. I agreed and also said I won't be bringing Harry to the party, Andrew will. I absolutely refuse to go to someones house who has been so horrible to me just because she has different beliefs than I.
At the end of the day Andrew and I get to make the decisons for our children's health and some of these decisions have been the long, hard road but the right one for our boys.

We are over the moon to see such a positive change in Oscar's energy levels. He is still itchy at bed time and battles to get to sleep. This is probably our biggest struggle with him at the moment. He's actually causing some of his eczema by scratching.  It's quite frustrating to see him do this to himself! I hope that some time soon he will learn bed is a lovely, safe place to be without the negative association it has with being itchy.


So much healing! 





No comments:

Post a Comment