Tuesday, November 15, 2016

"YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME ANYMORE"

Six little words that came out of Charlie's mouth, six words that broke my heart on Monday. Most parents wouldn't have cause for concern and most likely shrug it off, however for Charlie there has been many days where he's had every reason to feel this way. How on earth can we share our attention equally between three children, two of whom have health issues and demand more time of us for no fault of their own.

Our day started fine but at some point in the morning Charlie's mood changed. He got upset on the way to the park as he wanted a toy Harry was playing with and I had said no. Once we were at the park he seemed fine. Harry wanted a turn on the seesaw so I told Charlie three more pushes then I would help Harry.  I turned back to see Charlie trying his best to hide in a bush.
I knew something was up as this is something he wouldnt usually do.  I tried to turn the situation into a game of hide and seek but he wouldn't budge. When I asked Charlie why he was hiding he told me over and over "You don't care about me anymore. The only people who get cared about in our house are Oscar and Harry and no one cares about me". I felt sick hearing these words. I tried to reinforce to him how much we love and care about him but I actually understand why he feels this way. Later that day when I was preoccupied with Harry, Charlie took himself outside and sat himself on a rock looking miserable.  When I checked on him we ended up having the same conversation we had at the park. I was at a loss as to what I could or should say to make him feel better so we sat having a cuddle - until Harry started crying as he had scratched himself to the point of bleeding.
Andrew came home early from work and took Charlie out for Dad and Charlie time.
Andrew also picked Charlie up from Kindy yesterday and again they spent the afternoon together.
From here on in we're going to make every possible effort to have more one on one time with Charlie and give him lots of extra kisses and cuddles so that he will hopefully feel like we do care about him.
We love and care about Charlie so much and feel gutted that he is feeling so sad at the moment.  No four year old should ever feel like their parents don't care about them.

One upset wee Charlie - I took this picture through the window inside. 

Charlie and Dad time at the park.
Smiling again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment